Some people’s opinions of the famous “Kissing Sailor” is that it’s sexual assault or unromantic, but I personally don’t agree with any of these opinions. I almost believe the complete opposite. The facts are that they weren’t dating, didn’t know each other and it was in the spur of the moment. I don’t agree with people and feminist calling it “sexual assault.” I think people take things way out of proportion and make a mountain out of a mole hill essentially. The war just ended and everyone was celebrating, hugging, kissing, and just loving the moment that everything violent and dangerous is over and worries about things have lifted; and people want to worry about how one guy out of the entire city and country kissed another random girl that he happened to be around. When I see the picture I honestly see two people kissing in the street, something romantic or cute. Others want to see a huge problem that they can bring to the media’s attention. Maybe he shouldn’t have picked a girl out of random since a girl he was dating was in the picture, but in the moment of the war ending things just happened so quickly. One person said it was wrong since we live in a “rape culture.” I disagree with this since it’s not part of our culture to do this to people and the picture of the kiss is not even close to that tragedy. The man in the picture had a few drinks and heard on the radio that the Japanese had surrendered, he remembers running out of the bar to celebrate, but doesn't remember kissing the girl. When the picture came out the girl immediately recognized herself, but the sailor didn't think it was him. The girl didn't find it to be assault or anything along those lines. So, conclusion I don’t see a major problem over this picture, it has been around for over 60 years and people just now want to bring it up to the media? They just need to leave it part of history and art. Let people see it how they want to see it. Don’t make a big deal out of things that don’t need to be brought to media’s attention. The kissing Sailor picture is an icon of the day the Japanese surrendered and significant to American history, not how it’s a crime of sexual assault. My Young Love blog talks about love in multiple different ways. My first post is about how my boyfriend and I essentially "met" and the second was about a news article that brought up the famous picture of the Kissing Sailor; which some poeple found it to be sexual assault. You can find my reaction on my second post. And my final post will will be about five songs that...remind me of my dad and his love towards me.
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Just a Kiss
Some people’s opinions of the famous “Kissing Sailor” is that it’s sexual assault or unromantic, but I personally don’t agree with any of these opinions. I almost believe the complete opposite. The facts are that they weren’t dating, didn’t know each other and it was in the spur of the moment. I don’t agree with people and feminist calling it “sexual assault.” I think people take things way out of proportion and make a mountain out of a mole hill essentially. The war just ended and everyone was celebrating, hugging, kissing, and just loving the moment that everything violent and dangerous is over and worries about things have lifted; and people want to worry about how one guy out of the entire city and country kissed another random girl that he happened to be around. When I see the picture I honestly see two people kissing in the street, something romantic or cute. Others want to see a huge problem that they can bring to the media’s attention. Maybe he shouldn’t have picked a girl out of random since a girl he was dating was in the picture, but in the moment of the war ending things just happened so quickly. One person said it was wrong since we live in a “rape culture.” I disagree with this since it’s not part of our culture to do this to people and the picture of the kiss is not even close to that tragedy. The man in the picture had a few drinks and heard on the radio that the Japanese had surrendered, he remembers running out of the bar to celebrate, but doesn't remember kissing the girl. When the picture came out the girl immediately recognized herself, but the sailor didn't think it was him. The girl didn't find it to be assault or anything along those lines. So, conclusion I don’t see a major problem over this picture, it has been around for over 60 years and people just now want to bring it up to the media? They just need to leave it part of history and art. Let people see it how they want to see it. Don’t make a big deal out of things that don’t need to be brought to media’s attention. The kissing Sailor picture is an icon of the day the Japanese surrendered and significant to American history, not how it’s a crime of sexual assault.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you, I do not think this is rape. If they call that picture rape, they may as well call your background picture rape. People do blow everything out of proportion these days. Some people just like to cause drama, we just have to learn to ignore them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100 percent that there is nothing wrong with this picture. That people are so crazed for attention that they would take an iconic photo and turn it into something its not for attention is pathetic. Like Sneezer said, I think the only way to stop this from happening is to just ignore the people who are trying to start drama.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, Snee and Andrew! I find this picture to be adorable, and like you said, iconic. It's a kiss. Not rape or anything close to that. I like Snee's comment that your background picture could be considered rape if the kissing sailor is. Upon hearing about this story, I remember the girl pictured saying that she didn't know the man, but at the same time, she didn't sound angry or upset. It happened so long ago that it doesn't matter. On top of that, why are people just now making a big deal out of it? Like the boys said, people need to stop creating drama. Just let it be.
ReplyDelete