Five Songs That…remind me of my dad
So, I want you to know it's a little f***ed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"
My dad’s career is a mechanic and he really is a workaholic. Before the divorce and even afterwards he put his job before his family. My mom and his three daughters always waited around for him wanting and waiting for him to change. We all got sick of it and my mom divorced him and took us with her.
You
know the place where you used to live,
Used to
barbecue up burgers and ribs,Used to have a little party every Halloween with candy by the pile,
But now, you only stop by every once and a while,
It's funny how it’s the little things in
life
That mean the most
Not where you live or what you drive
Or the price tag on your clothes
There’s no dollar sign on a piece of mind
My dad has always taught me to know where you come from and it’s not about materialistic things that make you up. The price on your clothes or what brands you wear isn’t who you are it’s how you present yourself and having respect that means the most.
And a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up
That mean the most
Not where you live or what you drive
Or the price tag on your clothes
There’s no dollar sign on a piece of mind
My dad has always taught me to know where you come from and it’s not about materialistic things that make you up. The price on your clothes or what brands you wear isn’t who you are it’s how you present yourself and having respect that means the most.
And a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up
You
and me going fishing in the dark
Lying on our backs and counting on the stars
Where the cool grass grow
Lying on our backs and counting on the stars
Where the cool grass grow
My dad
and I always had a fetish to fish. We just really enjoy it. He’s the one that
got me hooked on it. He has a house with a pond and we usually just go there to
fish and end up fishing until the sun goes down. The cool grass part reminds me
of how much he hates to cut the grass; when my parents were together he only
cut the grass every once in a while and my mom had to get a picture of it.
I
see them everyday
We get along, so why can't they?
If this is what he wants
And this is what she wants
Then why is there so much pain?
We get along, so why can't they?
If this is what he wants
And this is what she wants
Then why is there so much pain?
When I
was growing up of course I saw my parents every day. My dad and I always got
along and understood each other, but for some reason my parents couldn’t find
any more love for each other. My mom wanted the divorce, but my dad never
understood why, he tried everything, but it wasn’t enough for her. My mom was
always hurt somehow and so was my dad he just didn’t show it.
Hope you enjoy it this time
You gave it all away
Out in that garage
And I guess the stuff that stuck
Was more about life than fixing cars
Cause to this day I still can't make 'em run right
But I sure did learn a lot
Just holding the flashlight
Some of these songs you may not know, some you may not like, but
they remind me of my dad. He’s been right all along, “stick to your word,” “have
self-value,” and never “sell yourself short!”
Dedicated to William E. Althaus Jr.
This blog post made me really sad Katie! I'm really sorry you don't get to see your dad very often. That must be really rough. I see my dad everyday, and if I didn't I dont know what I would do. Thats good that you had a good relationship with him and that you guys understood eachother. Thats really important to have in a father-daughter relationship. I really liked when you said "Stick to your word, have self- value, and never sell yourself short" because those are honestly the best words to live by. And I liked your songs, "Fishin in the Dark" and "Chicken Fried." Those are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI started to tear up a bit when I was reading your blog--it's terrible to lose someone like that, someone you're so close to knowing all along that you deserve the perfect family you never got. I love how you found songs that matched specific events throughout you and your dad's interactions--I guess you can really say you live through this music in a way.
ReplyDeleteThe loss you talk about between your dad and you makes me think of all the other people with situations like that, and how they're just hoping for something top go right and make everything the way it's supposed to be...
In reality, though, when does that ever happen?
I hope things between you and your dad get better--I hope you get to see him more often, and I hope he realizes what he has in a daughter like you and spend a little more effort on making your one holiday special. Most of all, though, I hope that you enjoy your life in spite of all this; which, from the look of your blog, it seems as if you do.
Wonderful blog, wonderful post--not the best situation, but from the sound of it, you and your dad love each other. I'm glad that even though a few other things may not be right, you at least have that.